Friday, September 11, 2009

Nesting

So I know I should be totally depressed now that fall is on it's way, which invariably means winter is around the corner...but I am kinda excited. I know...I'm nesting (as my mom would say). I know by the end of January I will wonder what in the heck is so great about winter. I'm excited about the changing leaves, lazy Sundays watching football (go Cowboys!), my electric blanket, all the wonderful holidays coming up, and decorating. I'm excited that this year my boys will be thrilled to open Christmas presents, rather than just eating the paper. They will get a kick out of seeing themselves in their Halloween costumes, and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.

With all this excitement also comes some stress. Last year was the boys 1st everything. So of course both sets of Grandparents wanted to be there for everything. They all live in our hometown about 2 hours away from our house. During the holidays we stay at my parents house with the boys. This is not only my decision, btw! Well Thanksgiving last year we went to both houses, and that seemed to work out fine. Christmas was a whole different story. Last year Christmas eve fell on a Wednesday. So we decided to celebrate that with D's parents because his mother doesn't work & his father runs his own business and all of my family had to work. Besides, D and his family always opened presents on Christmas Eve. Also, when I was young we used to open presents at my Grandparents house on Christmas Eve & I loved it. So I figured we would start that as a tradition. Christmas Eve at his parents house & Christmas at mine. Well, things didn't work out as planned. There was a lot of jealousy and drama going on so we never went over there Christmas Eve. So we spent Christmas morning at my parents house then took the boys to D's (I was inches away from not going). Well lets just say I was not in the 'holiday' mood because of all the drama and I was very upset most of Christmas day. That night I cried realizing this was the boys first Christmas, and that will never happen again, and it was not what I expected. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday & I look forward to it every year. Well, I wrote my mother-in-law quite an extensive letter about how I felt and this will NOT happen again and if it does there will be consequences. Needless to say, I am still nervous about this year. I have put down my foot this year & we are splitting up the holidays. I want to be able to relax all day (without having to drag kids around) and let the boys enjoy their presents. I will have drama-free holidays this year even if some people are not included! My family & our happiness is number one and I refuse to let anyone ruin it this year.

2 comments:

Shelly Cunningham said...

Oh my gosh. Glad to know I am not the only one with "Holiday Drama" on repeat EVERY holiday. I mean, how can I enjoy one Thanksgiving dinner when in twenty minutes I have to leave for the second one? It's ridiculous! I wish you luck!

Jodi said...

You too!

Post a Comment

Quotes

A good neighbor will babysit. A great neighbor will babysit twins.
 

Life with Twins! | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates