Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Boys vs Girls


I often hear parents say that raising boys vs girls is different. I won't lie, I was a skeptic. Doesn't it really depend on the environment you raise them in? Final answer is, NO. Have you ever noticed that boys at a playground are usually throwing dirt, climbing up the slide instead of going down, and chasing each other with sword sticks? Then you look over at the girls and they are building sandcastles, holding their baby dolls down the slide and playing hopscotch. I now realize my life will be complete chaos raising boys.

I come from a very traditional family...the whole respect your elders yada yada yada. I have an older sister who is my best friend. She has two girls ages 6 and 4. I absolutely adore them. The other day we are on the phone and of course I can hardly hear her with the boys screaming and carrying on like normal. I hear nothing in the background on her end. So I ask her 'where are the girls'? She says they are in their room playing barbies. I tell her 'I can't wait until my boys are that age so I can be sitting on the deck with a nice glass of wine while they play quietly in their rooms'. She starts laughing hysterically and says 'that is never gonna happen'! I now realize I am screwed.

3 comments:

2Wired2Tired said...

I often wonder about boys vs. girls since I have one of each and they are so close in age. My son is definitely exposed to things he wouldn't be if he didn't have an older sister - Barbie, Disney Princesses etc. And my daughter is slowing growing to like some of his rough housing and sometimes will tackle her little brother in return or chase him around the house with a plastic golf club (yikes!), but she still gets upset almost every time he knocks down her block towers.

2Wired2Tired said...

By the way, I was having lots of trouble posting the above comment and this one as well. It's difficult to scroll down far enough to enter the word verification. Just thought you'd like to know.
Tesa

Jodi said...

Thanks Tesa. I'm still trying to really find a background I like for my blog.
I have my mind set that boys are very different from girls and like to get into things they shouldn't (all day!) and play rougher...otherwise my kids are just absolutely crazy!

Post a Comment

Quotes

A good neighbor will babysit. A great neighbor will babysit twins.
 

Life with Twins! | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates